George Hale in 1881

George Hale was accounted to be a man of great physical and mental energy, largely responsible for raising the money to replace the first St. Luke's, a temporary wooden church built in 1863, with the Victorian Gothic building that stands today. A contemporary account reads "By his persistent industry he succeeded in replacing this wooden structure by a fine brick and stone, dedicated to St. Luke, of which he was in 1881 appointed the first Vicar."

Image: