St Luke’s Church of England (VA) Primary School is part of the Diocese of Ely Multi-Academy Trust (DEMAT – https://demat.org.uk/). In the late 1800s, three Cambridge academics, Charles Mackenzie, Rev Hopkins and Harvey Goodwin decided that the area around the newly built St Luke’s Church needed a school and so they set about raising interest and money to build the Chesterton Industrial School which opened in 1850 at the corner of Victoria Road and Harvey Goodwin Avenue. Over the years the school grew and expanded until it moved to its French’s Road site in 1969.
St Luke’s Church, now part of the Parish of the Ascension, continues to maintain close links with the school. Members of the parish’s ministry team serve as school governors, and also visit the school every week to lead assemblies. The whole school celebrates special festivals such as Harvest with services in the church.